If you need to report a utility emergency, such as a gas leak or water main break, please call

(765) 522-1532 to report the emergency. If it is after hours, please follow the prompts on the message to be connected with a utility employee. 

The Town of Roachdale provides natural gas, water, waste water, and storm water services to the residents of the Town of Roachdale and surrounding areas. 

To receive utility service, you must fill out an application and pay meter deposits for Gas and Water service. Once deposits are made, utility service will be established. New customer turn ons are only done during normal utility business hours of 7:00am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday. Please note that it is a requirement for an adult to be at the residence when gas is being turned on. It is encouraged for someone to be home when water is turned on. 

All utility accounts will be charged the minimum monthly charges for utilities that are turned on at the meter. 

Current Meter Deposits:

Water: $50.00

Gas: $150.00

Utility bills are mailed around the 10th of each month and due on the 30th day of each month. Disconnect letters are typically mailed on the 5th day of each month. Disconnects are typically done on the 20th of each month. 

Utility payments can be made in person at the town office Monday - Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm. Payment can be made in the form of cash, personal check, cashier's check or money order. We do not currently accept credit or debit cards. 

Budget billing is available for gas utility only. If you are interested in budget billing for your gas, please contact the clerk/treasurer's office for more information. 

If your service is disconnected due to non-payment, you will be required to pay a reconnect fee of $25.00 for each utility during normal utility business hours and $50.00 for each utility after normal utility business hours. Please note that an adult must be present at the residence for gas service to be reestablished.

Excess Flow Valve Information 

Please read the letter below if you are interested in having an excess flow valve installed on your gas service line. This is not a requirement to have gas service and the customer is responsible for the cost of installation.

Excess Flow Valve Information Letter 

Requesting a Utility Bill Adjustment

The Town of Roachdale will only give utility billing adjustments after a resident completes the proper documentation. This forms are available on the website and in the Town Office. 

Some adjustments require inspection and/or proof of repair. If you are filling a pool, you must contact the Town Office prior to starting filling your pool. 

The Town of Roachdale WILL NOT grant adjustments for the following:

  • ​Routine and/or occasionally dripping faucets, unattended systems left running, running commodes/toilets or any other faulty customer plumbing;
  • Premises left or abandoned or vacated without reasonable care for the plumbing system;
  • More than one leak occurrence per any 12 month period;
  • More that one pool fill per calendar year. 
  • Bills claimed to be lost or not received;
  • Homes under construction or major renovation. If water is used during construction, the contractor should document that the water does not discharge into the sewer system via a separate meter;
  • Failure to provide proof of repair; or
  • Requests for adjustments more than 15 days after the billing date. 

Full details can be found in the Ordinance below. 

Utility Adjustment Ordinance

Utility Forms

​Pool Adjustment Request Form

Property Owner Request for Direct Utility Billing to Tenant(s)

​Request for Utility Billing Adjustment Credit

Application for Leak Adjustment Credit

No Repair Receipt/Documentation Form

Irrigation Water Meter Form


Town of Roachdale